Monday, May 28, 2012

Week 11: Internet Free Sundays

9:33 am- I just rolled off Karin’s spare futon, and got up slowly and groggily. I helped myself to a glass of water. I cursed my hangover and my lack of foresight from the night before. I reached for my phone to check my email and Facebook.

Oh, wait, damn. Can’t do that. No internet today. I wrote this instead.

10:00 am- We’re all packed up in Jessica’s car, ready to head back to Iwamizawa for her church after the Higashikawa Easter event. I had a lot of fun. Too much fun, one might say. I don’t regret it. I am, however, wondering how I am going to amuse myself during the drive with no internet on my phone.

10:07 am- I can’t find my ipod. We have to go back, Jack!

10:13 am- oops, it was in a hidden pocket in my jacket all along. Sorry for making you late, Jessica! I know you have a 3 hour drive ahead of you and your church has already started and you want to be there by noon.

10:25 am- I wonder if any embarrassing photos from last night have surfaced on the internet yet. I should check. Oh wait...

10:35 am- maybe I will just take a nap. Leave the driving and k-pop to Jessica. Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

11:46 am- I wonder how close to Iwamizawa we are.

11:47 am- wow, only that far away? How did we get here that quickly?

11:48 am- Jessica, how fast are you going?

11:49 am- maybe I should just go back to sleep until we get there. Yes, that is a good idea.

12:05 pm- oh look, we’ve arrived at the LDS church in Iwamizawa.

12:07 pm- Jess left me the car keys so I can hang while she gets all holy or whatever she does in church. What should I do? No internet. No internet. No internet.

12:10 pm- I have no clue what to do. Maybe I will go for a walk, get some fresh air. And coffee. Lots of coffee. And water. Why does my head still hurt?

12:40 pm- That walk was lovely. This coffee is delicious. I can’t get over the fact that I’m wearing a sun dress without tights and my legs aren’t cold! Summer is coming! Summer is coming! I should tweet about this! Oh, wait...

12:45 pm- trying to play guitar in the back seat of a car is more difficult than I had anticipated. Maybe I will just put it away, and wait.

12:48 pm- this is boring.

1:00 pm- okay, where are Jess and Andromeda? Church ended a whole second ago!

1:10 pm- still not here.

1:15 pm- nope.

1:20 pm- oh look there they are! And they are bringing the elders with them! Yay! I get to meet them hung-over in my indecent sundress! Quick, I’d better zip it up!

1:30 pm- well that was fun. I think I made an okay impression!

2:00 pm- I’m finally home sweet home! No time to get to the cello concert, though. What should I do instead? Stream a show? Nope, can’t. Watch a movie online? Nope. Check facebook? Nope. Check my email? Nope. Hmm... I could read!

2:01 pm- my e-book is dead. Maybe I will take a shower!

2:15 pm- that was nice. Now what?

2:30 pm- ooh I’ll watch these DVDs I have had for ages and haven’t watched cuz I’ve had the internet!

4:24 pm- Totoro is strange.

4:26 pm- Dinner time! What should I make? I am lazy. Lazy lazy. Edamame from the freezer it is for now!

4:30 pm- maybe I’ll write in my journal a bit.

5:16 pm- that was nice :)

5:34 pm- ooh I’ll continue the DVDing with this rare and unseen footage Bowie DVD I have. Yes. So much yes.

5:45 pm- man David Bowie smokes a lot.

5:51 pm- he also acts a little bit like a giant asshole.

6:35 pm- right, now that I know more about Bowie than I ever needed to, what now? Ooh I still have Pleasantville on my computer!

7:35 pm- this movie is weird. Also I am super sleepy.

And that is the last thing I wrote before I fell asleep.

All in all, I think the internet-free day was a good idea! I think I will continue to adopt it every Sunday. It made me more productive, I did things I wouldn’t have done otherwise, like finally watching those films. I could get used to it.

Have you ever gone without internet or anything? Let me know :D

1 comment:

sadexcuse4amango said...

the answer is: i was driving fast.

Very fast.