Sunday, May 13, 2012

Week 9: Go to a Chocolate Factory

I’m not sure if you are aware of this, but inside Sapporo, Japan’s fifth largest city, there exists a place called Shiroi Koibito Park. I’m not religious, so I may be a little confused on this front, but I am pretty sure it is heaven.

Why, you may ask? Because the park is composed of a giant chocolate factory and its grounds. You can tour the chocolate factory where they make Sapporo’s famous cookies, try making the cookies yourself, feast on some delicious chocolate in the tearoom, and run around the park for hours!





And that is exactly what I did one day. Armed with an empty stomach and a sense of adventure, I braved the cold Hokkaido winds and the Sapporo metro system to find my way to this little piece of paradise. And Cian came with me.

When I got there, I was instantly struck by how big the building was. I figured since I was in Japan and everything in here was tiny, the building would be as well. I was wrong. The grounds span for more than a kilometre, and the red-brick building instantly dwarfs everything around it. We walked up and into what we thought was the front entrance, eager to get out of the wind.

As it turns out, the entrance we walked into was not the actual entrance, so after some broken Japanese exchanged with the nice ladies at the souvenir shop, we walked out and into the actual entrance, where we purchased our tour guides, received a ‘chocolate passport’ and headed on our way. We were supposed to follow the prints on the ground as we went through the factory tour.





The first thing we saw was a lot of old chocolate related memorabilia. It was like being in a chocolate museum, but without any English to explain the artifacts, I was content to make up my own stories.





After this, we went up through the factory itself, where we watched factory workers and learned how the precious Shiroi Koibito cookies are made. From what I can tell, the chocolate is made, then melted, then cooled into sheets, then cut, then placed between cookies that underwent the same process. Everything is then packaged, and regular taste/quality inspections are conducted. It was all very interesting, but it was hard to get over the awkward Engrish on the factory signs. 





From there, we went to the tea room, where we could look out the window and see the grounds and the city. I ordered the liquid chocolate and was promptly served some of the best hot chocolate that I have had in my life. Seriously, I think it was only surpassed by one cup I had in Argentina when I was 14 and maybe the hot chocolate at Juliette et Chocolat. I don’t think I will ever get over the tastiness. 







After this, we wandered back down and ended up in a room filled with gramaphones. Why? I don’t know.

After THAT, we wandered a bit more, and ended up in a room full to the brim with old toys. WHY? I still don’t know.

Then, we braved the cold again and went back downtown.

All in all, I’d say it was a wonderful experience. I love chocolate, so any chance to get close to it is good for me. If you’re in Sapporo and have the time, I would definitely recommend that you check it out, because why not?

1 comment:

stacey* said...

mmmmmm sounds like a delightfully delicious day!