Monday, August 9, 2010

vancouver part 2

Day 3:
We pretty much lazed around for the entire first half of the day, watching movies and playing DDR at Sarah’s apartment. Then, at 5 pm we started walking downtown, where we were meeting some relatives for dinner. It turned out to be Vern, the guy we’d met the day before, plus Heidie and her husband and children, so it was quite a big group. We got to the restaurant, and it was super super nice. We were terrified, we couldn’t afford the salads, let alone the entrees. We got in, and the waiter poured us wine and put our napkin on our lap for us. It was intense. Our fears were alleviated though, when they told us to not worry about prices and to order whatever we wanted. So we did. I can’t imagine it was cheap, and that’s all I could think about. I started to feel really sick towards the end, so I went downstairs in case I threw up, and in the bathroom there was a bleached blonde, fake-tanned girl wearing a skirt that could have been a belt. “Sorry for taking up so much space,” she said. “my boyfriend just bought my thousand dollar sunglasses. It’s his birthday and we just got back from cabo.”
“cool,” i replied, unaware of what else i could say.
BUT i felt better when i came up, so we walked to the beach to watch the fireworks. It was so crowded there. Apparently people come and wait at this beach from 3 pm to see a 20 minute fireworks display. It’s absolutely ridiculous. The fireworks were a lot of fun, but not worth waiting 6 hours to see. Afterwards, we were supposed to walk downtown to go out with Sarah and her friends, but I had a massive headache, so we just walked home and went to sleep.
Day 4:
  • this day was a lot of walking. early in the day, we walked downtown to get seats for the pride parade. The parade was more tame than i expected, but it was still a lot of fun. I saw a bunch of cool floats (pictures to come) and got a bunch of free condoms. :)
  • after the parade we met up with my cousin Alana and her husband Adam. They took us out to lunch, and we spent the rest of the afternoon walking around downtown, seeing the sights and drinking coffee. It was really great to see them again, they’re super cool people. Very chill and down to earth.
  • after that, we rented bicycles and drove around stanley park. I hadn’t been on a bike in like 4 years, and i ran off the bike path a few times and luke laughed at me. other than that though, the ride was absolutely gorgeous. not much else to say.
  • after that, we went to the night market in richmond, where we got some asian food, cheap headphones and some awesome other things that i can’t remember right now.
The next day we drove to Victoria, and I’ll leave that for another blog post. One I may write later today, or i may not.
BY THE WAY for anyone that cares, we’re on our way back now, so ALL luke is doing is driving, which is why i have so much time to catch up on my posts.

No comments: