Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vancouver Island

Day 1:

we woke up fairly late, and made the 11:00 ferry to Victoria. The ferry was absolutely beautiful, one and a half hours of islands and beautiful weather. It was marvelous. Then, we drove into Victoria, and looked for a place to stay for the evening. Everywhere was expensive, and Victoria didn't agree with Luke, so we decided to head out early and go to Nanaimo instead, where we had found a hostel for $40. We found out when we got there, however, that the hostel was $40 for a reason. It was right over top of a bar, so there was loud music the entire time, and you had to go into the bar to get your room, so I got approached by the kind of people who frequented bars at 4:00 pm. We got into our room, and it was like a jail. There were double bunk beds with threadbare mattresses and only one pillow, and the room was painted beige with no windows and no decorations. We did have a private bathroom though. We decided to just hang out for the evening and explore the next day.

Day 2:

Day two on Vancouver Island was amazing. Firstly, I surprised Luke by taking him bungee jumping off of the nanaimo river. Neither of us had done it before, and i wanted to do something we'd really remember, since we were nearing the end of our trip. Well, I'll definitely remember it. I got up onto the ledge, and my feet felt like they were slipping out of the hinges already. I was absolutely terrified. The only thing running through my mind was "oh my god, i'm going to slip out and die". i leaned forward, let go of the bars, and my mind went blank for a second. It felt like i was in slow motion as i first started to fall forward. Then, i picked up more and more speed until my mind started to work again. All i could think was "holy shit, this is fast. oh my god. i am going to die". Then, i started to slow down and i eased back up. I bounced a few more times and then i lowered myself onto the platform at the end. If you want to watch the video, it'll be on facebook and youtube. I really can't describe the feeling though, nothing i say will do it justice. It's incredible though, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is an adrenaline junkie.

Afterwards, we bought our videos, because we needed something to remember the occasion by, and we drove back into the city. I had another surprise for luke, to an extent. We took a tiny person ferry to Protection Island, which is right off of the nanaimo harbour, and we had dinner on the pub which floats off of the island. It was reasonably priced, very unique, and offered a great view of the city. After that, we went to Parksville, where we swam into the sea until my relatives called, then we went over to their place. Meeting Tom and his wife was great. They are some of the kindest people I've ever met. They took us on a tour of the area, where we saw goats on the roof and a huge waterfall, and then afterward they bought us ice cream, baked us bread, folded our laundry, and gave us a place to sleep. They were so generous, it was way more than was needed.

Day 3:

The next day was quite unexciting. We drove from Parksville to Tofino, thinking of all the glamour that would come. On the drive over, however, I learned that my roommate was moving out, which meant that I'd have to find a new one. It put a bit of a damper on the day, and i was kind of in a bad mood. We got to Tofino excited about what the little town was going to be. It fell short of expectations. There were people everywhere, it was so crowded, and we didn't really know what to do with ourselves. We had lunch, and then decided to leave for Ucluelet, which we had heard was a nicer city and was also on the Pacific Rim. We went to a surf shop there, and met some nice people who hooked us up with lessons, coffee, and told us about a great place to camp nearby. So we drove there, wasted some time, set up our tent, and went to bed.

Day 4:

This day was better. We woke up bright and early, had breakfast, and went to get our rental gear so we could go learn how to surf. We were taught by the same person we'd talked to the day before, so it wasn't as nerve-wrecking as I thought it would be. I wasn't very good, but we stayed in the water for 3 hours and i finally got up on the board once. To be honest, i had a lot more fun just riding the waves back to shore. after the 3 hours of paddling, "surfing" and falling off of my board a lot, we went, made lunch in the parking lot, then drove to a new beach. At this place, i decided to lie down and read my book on the beach, while Luke, who really got the hang of the surfing thing and absolutely loved it, went back out into the water for another 4 hours. After 4 hours of that, we went for food, then drove back to Victoria super quickly. Once we were there, we met up with one of luke's friends, had some meaningful conversation and crashed for the evening.

No comments: