Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Torontoooooo

So, I’m currently in a car, traveling at 100 km/h, headed towards Sault Ste. Marie, keeping good on my promise to write this blog post while on the road. I mean really, what else is there to do while we’re driving?
For the last 4 or 5 days, we were in Toronto. Canada’s largest city, ontario’s capital, and the birthplace of... multiculturalism? I don’t really know what else was born in T Dot. We arrived in the evening after a day of Niagara fun. We drove to the cross-street where our apartment was supposed to be, then received a text from Bryce that stated that we had to head over to where he was to pick up the key. So instead of driving, we opted for a 25 minute walk, and finally found the keys to our place.
Keith’s place is amazing. It’s a 1 bedroom basement apartment, but it’s super spacey and he’s done a wonderful job of decorating it, in my opinion. We spent the rest of the night relaxing and watching a few episodes of House, season 1, which I’ve recently become re-addicted to. The next day, we woke up and decided that we’d spend the day resting before we went to the show in the evening. We went for a walk, and had some pad thai at a restaurant that the internet recommended to us, Thai Basil. Then, we went home, watched a few more episodes of House, and decided upon what we were going to do for the next few days. I wanted to do all the touristy stuff, Luke wanted to party. We opted for a compromise, buying the city pass to save us money on the main tourist attractions, and going out in the evenings to check out the city’s nightlife.
Things turned the wrong way, however, when we started walking to the show’s venue. I was cramping super hard, and I figured it was from all the walking right after I had eaten. But when we got there, sat down and watched the show, my stomach started hurting more and more, and it almost took away from the beauty that is Tim Minchin. I say almost because that dude is fucking brilliant, there’s no other way to put it. He’s definitely my favourite comedian, and seeing him live only intensified that fact. He just has such a brilliantly awkwardly hilarious stage presence and his songs would bring anyone to hysterics. Bo Burnham was pretty funny too, and the set was shorter than I’d like, but otherwise it was an amazing night.
The downside, however, is that I woke up the next morning with a stomach that was better, but still in great pain. I truly thought that I had appendicitis. So I went to the clinic, and got my tummy checked out. The doctor told me that I just had a little bit of food poisoning, and that I should be good to go to the zoo as long as I followed the food regimen that he gave me. Soups and clear liquids only the first day, bananas, toast, and apple sauce and rice the next, and bland steamed foods the next day.
So that day we went to the zoo and the ontario science centre and got to be little children all over again. we saw all the pretty animals (such as giraffes and hippos and zebras and elephants and kangaroos and monkeys) and got to play around with science experiments like 10 year olds. It was awesome. We had decided to take public transit to get there, though, which was a nightmare. It took us a 30 minute bus ride and 3 subway transfers to get home from the zoo. We navigated it without an issue, though. I was so proud of myself.
I figured I was fine stomachwise when I got home, but the next morning when I woke up, I had a cup of tea and puked everything I had the day before up. It was kind of gross. Because of this, luke decided I wasn’t okay to continue sight-seeing and we laid in bed all day and watched house. It was not the most fun i’ve ever had, but I probably needed the day of relaxation.
The next day, I felt fine, so we got up, and walked to Casa Loma, which is this huge castle in downtown toronto that some rich dude owned then got to broke to pay for so he had to move his family out. Quite a sad story, but we got an audio tour of the place, which had been turned back into a beautiful castle in the same sort of fashion, and learned some cool things about the house and its owner. Afterwards, we went to the royal ontario museum where I learned some cool things about gems and minerals because of a guided tour we had, and then we spent the rest of the time looking at dinosaur bones and going “look, dinosaurs! oooooooooohhhhhhhh!” it was very exciting, I promise you. Then, we went home, cooked dinner, and went for a long walk to the CN tower, the pinnacle of our touristy crap, where for only $30 you can go up an elevator! It was pretty cool, though. We were up really high, and could see the entire city. We also got a chance to walk on the glass floor, which was absolutely terrifying, but kind of cool. The best part, though, was the motion simulator ride that came with our admission. We pretended we were in a new place called the himalamazon, which was super fun. It was like a roller coaster, except it wasn’t really a roller coaster. Then we went home, rested our weary heads on our beds, and went to sleep.
The next morning, we woke up super early, and were on the road! dum dum dum dummmmmmmmm
more news to follow. :)

No comments: