Friday, March 1, 2013

5 Unexpected Perks of Cat Ownership

Hello!

It's been a while. 3 months, to be exact. I wish I could tell you that I've been doing something so crazy, exciting, and off the wall that I haven't had time to do any writing or posting, but the truth is that most of my days, I look like this:



Cattitude and I have been inseparable ever since I got her, and while I'm loving the life of a new pet owner, it is strange to be responsible for another living being. I often find myself prepping to go away for a week or two, only to remember at the last minute that there is another life form that I am responsible for. Luckily, I've got people close enough to me that I can call them up at a moment's notice to take that life form off my hands. 

And that brings me to this post: 5 unexpected perks of cat ownership.

1. New Friends.
You wouldn't think this would be true, but it is.  When you get a cat, all of a sudden, people find you more responsible, more appealing to them. Also, they have an excuse to come visit now. 

2. Ability to Not Sweat the Small Stuff.
Somehow, when your friend calls to cancel a coffee date, it just doesn't seem major. After all, yesterday, your cat managed to smear poo that was stuck to her butt all over your floors and furniture, and you dealt with it like a champion.

3. Really Tough Skin.
Nothing hurts anymore. Your skin is so scarred from the clawing of the kitten phase that when you jam your finger in a door, you barely even feel it. Hyperbole, of course, but you get the idea.

4. Built In Alarm Clock.
Search for batteries no more! Don't worry about turning your phone off silent! Inevitably, your cat will paw at your face at 6 am every day, looking for food!

5. Companionship.
When you have a bad day, she will listen, and she will understand. She won't bitch or say you are overreacting. After all, she doesn't have the power of human language. She will just sit there, all cuddly and warm, and let you hold her. Until she claws at your face.

And there you have it. So if you haven't thought about it yet, go out and adopt a cat from your local SPCA. But only if you want one. We wouldn't want to contribute further to the world's feral cat problem.

No comments: